Tryon Daily Bulletin Web Blog - The World's Smallest Daily Web Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Remembering John Griffin


John was my neighbor in Holly Hill when I built my house there. He walked by regularly with Bonnie, a beautiful Springer spaniel, who was always impatient to get on with it. She was such a fine looking dog that I could not resist offering my hand to pet her. Sometimes she would allow a pat on the head, but she usually jumped back with a little warning bark. John said resignedly that "She hates everybody," including him and his wife, Florence.
John served in the Army Engineers in the South Pacific during WWII, and wrote many letters home to his fiancee, Florence. A budding artist, John drew a little picture on the outside of each envelope, and Florence saved all of them. When the drawings were featured on a Public Television broadcast, John asked me to tape the segment for him, which I was glad to do. When I delivered the tape to his house, he gave me a lithographed copy of one of his paintings. Of course I framed it, and it hangs above the head of our bed now.
Some of John’s paintings may also be found in St. Luke’s Hospital, and he regularly supplied paintings, two for each season, for the NC Welcome Center on I-26 near Columbus. Some were scenes, others were abstract. But always well executed, with exciting use of color.
John also enjoyed carving decoy ducks. His paintings and his decoys are available at his daughter’s Dish Barn near Hendersonville. I was always going over to see John in his studio and workshop, but never did make time to do so. That appears to be a common failing, as my friend Don Pattie wrote about that in one of his many poems. There are six stanzas, but I will quote only the last two in my limited space:
It’s natural to procrastinate,
Yet the moral here is clear.
We need to set aside more time
For those we hold so dear.

In life and dreams I lost my friend
For it seemed I had no time.
We take for granted those we love,
Then weep for Auld Lang Syne.*

Of course it is good to call or write or exchange e-mails, but they are not as good for the souls as a visit. When we go in person we can share a hug, warm smiles, perhaps some laughter. Yes, you have read of this idea before in my columns, but I have to advise that you do as I write, not as I do. This is not a contest, but when we do as I suggest, everyone involved wins. Let’s resolve to make more time for our friends as well as our families. The rewards are both immediate and lasting.
*From "A Lost Dream," (c)1994 by D. A. Pattie. Used by permission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home